On Wednesday, TIME announced that German Chancellor Angela Merkel is the Person of the Year, citing her role in the Greek bailout, the fight against ISIS and the refugee crisis.
Reaction to the choice and the short list — ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Republican presidential contender Donald Trump, the Black Lives Matter activists, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick and transgender activist Caitlyn Jenner — has been varied online.
Trump, in particular, has a lot to say. The real-estate mogul is leading a charge against the choice by reiterating that the magazine’s editors couldn’t handle making him Person of the Year. This has sparked a perfect tweetstorm of reactions to his reaction:
And here’s a glimpse at the rest of the conversation on the social network:
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating