On Wednesday, TIME announced that German Chancellor Angela Merkel is the Person of the Year, citing her role in the Greek bailout, the fight against ISIS and the refugee crisis.
Reaction to the choice and the short list — ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Republican presidential contender Donald Trump, the Black Lives Matter activists, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick and transgender activist Caitlyn Jenner — has been varied online.
Trump, in particular, has a lot to say. The real-estate mogul is leading a charge against the choice by reiterating that the magazine’s editors couldn’t handle making him Person of the Year. This has sparked a perfect tweetstorm of reactions to his reaction:
And here’s a glimpse at the rest of the conversation on the social network:
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer