Love. Wealth. Power. Some things never go out of style.
That’s the takeaway from the exclusive new teaser forWar and Peace, the small-screen adaptation of the Tolstoy epic set to air on Lifetime, A&E, and History next month.
Set to the driving chants of Raury’s “War Pt. 1,” the video casts aside any notions of a stuffy period drama and plays up the intrigue, bloodshed, and scandal surrounding three young aristocrats in 19th century Russia, during the Napoleonic wars. Downton Abbey’s Lily James is the beautiful and impulsive Natasha, Paul Dano is the awkward but kindhearted Pierre, and James Norton is the dashing but cynical Andrei.
Andrew Davies (Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice), who adapted the four-part series, recently told the Independent he was “absolutely surprised to find out how fresh and lively and modern it felt.”
War and Peace premieres Jan. 18. Watch the teaser above.
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023