Thousands of people have been forced from their home after the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu experienced its heaviest rainfall in more than a century, the Associated Press reports.
The deluge has forced the closure of an airport in the state’s capital, Chennai, where 13 inches of rain were reported in just under 24 hours.
The Indian Meteorological Department expects a depression in the Bay of Bengal to bring more heavy rains to the state later this week.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms