Facebook mogul Mark Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, announced the birth of their daughter, Max, via a post on the social network on Tuesday. In an open letter to their daughter, Zuckerberg and Chan outlined their hopes for her generation, which included eliminating poverty, promoting equality, providing everyone with healthcare and protecting the environment — partially by giving 99% of their Facebook shares away to philanthropic efforts.
“Max, we love you and feel a great responsibility to leave the world a better place for you and all children. We wish you a life filled with the same love, hope and joy you give us. We can’t wait to see what you bring to this world,” they wrote in the post.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve