The latest rapper to go viral on Twitter is…Pope Francis.
Twitter users started composing rap lyrics for the pontiff through the hashtag #PopeBars, which was inspired by photos that show him speaking into a microphone at a camp for displaced people Sunday in Bangui, the capital of the Central African Republic. It attracted celebrity attention from MacArthur “genius grant” winner Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator of Hamilton, a Broadway rap musical about Alexander Hamilton’s life, and Scandal star Kerry Washington, who just chimed in to call it “the best” hashtag.
Some of the funniest examples:
Incidentally, Pope Francis has released a pop rock album called Wake Up! But so far it has gotten mixed reviews, so who knows whether the hashtag will inspire him to produce a rap album now.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive