This month’s Photojournalism Links collection highlights 10 excellent photo essays from around the world, including Lynsey Addario‘s powerful work on three displaced children in South Sudan, Ukraine, and Lebanon. The photographs, made on assignment for The New York Times Magazine, were part of a cover story to draw attention to the world’s 30 million children driven from their homes by war and persecution. The print piece was accompanied by a remarkable virtual reality film that took the viewers inside each child’s daily lives.
Paolo Pellegrin: Inside the World of Egypt’s Salafist Muslims (National Geographic News) The Magnum photographer gained rare access to a group of Salafists in Egypt.
Diana Markosian: Virgin Mary (National Geographic) Markosian documents how the Virgin Mary’s image and legacy are found and celebrated around the world.
Mark Power: Paris Overnight (The New Yorker Photo Booth) Haunting photographs of the sites of the recent attacks.
Newsha Tavakolian: See Iran Coming Out of the Shadows (TIME LightBox) These pictures give an intriguing glimpse into contemporary Iran.
William Daniels: The Pope in Bangui (Le Monde) Pictures from Pope Francis’ historic visit to Central African Republic.
Minzayar Oo: The Price of Jade (TIME LightBox) The Burmese photographer captures the true cost of jade mining.
Bryan Denton: Kurds Launch Offensive Against ISIS in Mount Sinjar, Iraq | Pesh Merga and Yazidi Forces Liberate a City (The New York Times) Denton documents the Kurds’ fight against ISIS in northern Iraq.
Daniel Berehulak: In Mexico, Mennonite Farmers Struggle With Water Shortage (The New York Times) Beautiful pictures from Mexico’s Mennonite heartland.
Kevin Frayer: Buddhists Search for Bliss in Remote Tibetan Plateau (NBC News) These striking images show an annual Tibetan Buddhist gathering in China. (Also on TIME LightBox).
Mikko Takkunen is TIME.com’s International Photo Editor. Follow him on Twitter @photojournalism.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer