Oakland A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle and his girlfriend Eireann Dolan hosted a Thanksgiving Dinner in Chicago for 17 Syrian refugee families.
Dolan posted images from the get-together on Instagram saying Chicago, saying: “We thought we’d officially welcome them with one of our greatest American traditions.” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel also joined in the festivities.
In a Nov.18 blog post, Dolan announced that she and Doolittle would host a big Thanksgiving meal for refugees “to welcome them to America.” She also explained in her post how her grandfather moved to the U.S. from Ireland, a story of immigration she says many Americans share.
During Thursday’s Thanksgiving address, U.S. President Barack Obama referred to refugees as modern-day “pilgrims,” after vowing to increase the number of Syrian asylum-seekers the country takes in. Over 30 state governors have said that they would block any future Syrian refugees following the Paris attacks.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up