Harry Potter named his son after the character Professor Severus Snape in tribute to him dying for “for Harry out of love for Lily [Potter],”JK Rowling revealed on Friday.
The Harry Potter novelist shed light on Twitter over the epilogue to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which revealed that Harry named his son Albus Severus.
“Why did you pick Snape to name Harry’s kid after? I’m genuinely curious as he was nothing but abusive towards everyone” wrote a Twitter user to Rowling.
Her reply ignited a huge debate among Twitter’s legion of Harry Potter fans, prompting Rowling to tell them to “never change.”
She also cleared up doubt as to whether Professor Snape held malice against Harry or his father, James Potter.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement