Things got awkward when UFC fighter Holly Holm met Jay Z and his wife over the weekend.
The two met Saturday in Las Vegas, at a VIP viewing party for a boxing match and when Jay Z introduced his wife — megastar Beyoncé — Holm asked her name.
“I met Jay Z and he says this is my wife and I say, ‘Oh, hi what is your name?’ That is what I do when I meet someone’s wife,” Holm, 34, told Albuquerque, New Mexico’s KRQE Monday. “As I am shaking her hand I am thinking ‘why did I just say that?’ ”
Beyoncé reportedly didn’t mind, finding the encounter refreshing, reports KRQE, telling Holm not to worry about it.
Holm has come into the spotlight after she upset Ronda Rousey in a fight earlier this month. Since then she’s been everywhere from making appearances on television to taking piano lessons with Jamie Foxx.
Admittedly humble, Holm hasn’t let the limelight go to her head, offering a defense of Rousey in the face of intense scrutiny after getting knocked out.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears