Things got awkward when UFC fighter Holly Holm met Jay Z and his wife over the weekend.
The two met Saturday in Las Vegas, at a VIP viewing party for a boxing match and when Jay Z introduced his wife — megastar Beyoncé — Holm asked her name.
“I met Jay Z and he says this is my wife and I say, ‘Oh, hi what is your name?’ That is what I do when I meet someone’s wife,” Holm, 34, told Albuquerque, New Mexico’s KRQE Monday. “As I am shaking her hand I am thinking ‘why did I just say that?’ ”
Beyoncé reportedly didn’t mind, finding the encounter refreshing, reports KRQE, telling Holm not to worry about it.
Holm has come into the spotlight after she upset Ronda Rousey in a fight earlier this month. Since then she’s been everywhere from making appearances on television to taking piano lessons with Jamie Foxx.
Admittedly humble, Holm hasn’t let the limelight go to her head, offering a defense of Rousey in the face of intense scrutiny after getting knocked out.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement