A newly discovered eyeless species of daddy longlegs has been named after Smeagol, the Lord of the Rings character also known as Gollum.
The arachnid, fully named Iandumoema smeagol, was discovered in a humid cave in Brazil, UPI reports. It never leaves the darkness, and is one of only two harvestmen species that do not have eyes.
Like its namesake character Smeagol, the new daddy longlegs is pale in color and prefers living in underground caves with water present. In a ZooKeys report detailing the new species, it says it “is vulnerable and it must be considered in future conservation projects.”
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up