MMA fans were shocked on Sunday when Holly Holm defeated former champion Ronda Rousey in a huge upset at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia. Here’s what you should know about the new champion:
She’s a former boxing champion: Holm is a former pro boxer and kickboxer, and has held the world championship title in boxing.
She’s undefeated in mixed martial arts: Holm began to transition from boxing to MMA in 2011, and has since won all of her pro fights (10-0). Until Sunday, Ronda Rousey (12-1) was also undefeated.
Holm’s nickname is “The Preacher’s Daughter“: That’s because, yep, her dad is a preacher for the Church of Christ.
She’s from Albuquerque, New Mexico: And the 35-year-old’s hometown fans were very excited about the big win.
Will Rousey return for a rematch with Holm? We’ll have to stay tuned to find out.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time