MMA fans were shocked on Sunday when Holly Holm defeated former champion Ronda Rousey in a huge upset at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia. Here’s what you should know about the new champion:
She’s a former boxing champion: Holm is a former pro boxer and kickboxer, and has held the world championship title in boxing.
She’s undefeated in mixed martial arts: Holm began to transition from boxing to MMA in 2011, and has since won all of her pro fights (10-0). Until Sunday, Ronda Rousey (12-1) was also undefeated.
Holm’s nickname is “The Preacher’s Daughter“: That’s because, yep, her dad is a preacher for the Church of Christ.
She’s from Albuquerque, New Mexico: And the 35-year-old’s hometown fans were very excited about the big win.
Will Rousey return for a rematch with Holm? We’ll have to stay tuned to find out.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy