MMA fans were shocked on Sunday when Holly Holm defeated former champion Ronda Rousey in a huge upset at UFC 193 in Melbourne, Australia. Here’s what you should know about the new champion:
She’s a former boxing champion: Holm is a former pro boxer and kickboxer, and has held the world championship title in boxing.
She’s undefeated in mixed martial arts: Holm began to transition from boxing to MMA in 2011, and has since won all of her pro fights (10-0). Until Sunday, Ronda Rousey (12-1) was also undefeated.
Holm’s nickname is “The Preacher’s Daughter“: That’s because, yep, her dad is a preacher for the Church of Christ.
She’s from Albuquerque, New Mexico: And the 35-year-old’s hometown fans were very excited about the big win.
Will Rousey return for a rematch with Holm? We’ll have to stay tuned to find out.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science