Martin O’Malley compared Hillary Clinton to famous female gunslinger Annie Oakley during a discussion of gun control during Saturday’s Democratic debate.
The comparison came as former Maryland Gov. O’Malley accused Clinton of flip-flopping on the issue of gun control, which she now supports.
“Secretary Clinton you’ve been on three sides of this,” O’Malley challenged the former Secretary of State. “In 2008 you were portraying yourself as Annie Oakley and saying we don’t need those regulations… There’s a big difference between leading by polls and leading by principle.”
Clinton didn’t directly respond to the comparison, although it wasn’t the first time she had heard it. In 2008, Barack Obama said “she’s talking like Annie Oakley” about Clinton on the same issue when they were running against each other for the nomination.
But users on Twitter did respond to the comparison, many calling it sexist.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com