Martin O’Malley compared Hillary Clinton to famous female gunslinger Annie Oakley during a discussion of gun control during Saturday’s Democratic debate.
The comparison came as former Maryland Gov. O’Malley accused Clinton of flip-flopping on the issue of gun control, which she now supports.
“Secretary Clinton you’ve been on three sides of this,” O’Malley challenged the former Secretary of State. “In 2008 you were portraying yourself as Annie Oakley and saying we don’t need those regulations… There’s a big difference between leading by polls and leading by principle.”
Clinton didn’t directly respond to the comparison, although it wasn’t the first time she had heard it. In 2008, Barack Obama said “she’s talking like Annie Oakley” about Clinton on the same issue when they were running against each other for the nomination.
But users on Twitter did respond to the comparison, many calling it sexist.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up