Back in 1993, Nirvana performed a now-iconic set for MTV’s Unplugged. During the performance, frontman Kurt Cobain sported a ratty, olive green cardigan. That very cardigan just sold for $137,500 at an auction in Los Angeles.
The auction house, Julien’s, noted that the Manhattan brand sweater is a blend of acrylic, mohair and Lycra and features a burn hole and some discoloration. Julien’s says it obtained the sweater from “a close friend of the Cobain family.” It was originally estimated to fetch between $40,000 and $60,000.
Compared to the other items sold at the auction, Cobain’s sweater was quite a bargain. Elvis Presley’s gold leaf piano sold for $600,000 and John Lennon’s Gibson acoustic guitar went for $2,410,000.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization