Olympic superstar Michael Phelps opened up about his DUI arrest and his attempt at a comeback for a Sports Illustrated profile.
“I was in a really dark place,” Phelps said of the time after his arrest last year. “Not wanting to be alive anymore.”
The profile, which includes interviews with Phelps’ close family and friends, also details the superstar’s trip to a rehabilitation facility and the turmoil within his family. Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time, plans to return to the Olympics for one last appearance in 2016.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Justin Worland at email@example.com