The guitar John Lennon used to record “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “She Loves You” sold at auction Saturday for $2.4 million.
The 1962 J-160E Gibson Acoustic guitar had been lost for more than 50 years after it disappeared after a concert in 1963, according to a release from the auction house that sold the instrument. Lennon purchased the guitar in September of 1962 for £161, according to Julien’s Auctions. Fellow Beatle George Harrison purchased an identical guitar at the same time.
Other hits that Lennon recorded using the guitar include “Please, Please, Me,” “All My Loving” and “From Me to You,” according to the auction house.
The final sell price significantly exceeded the $600,000 to $800,000 estimated by the auction house.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases