Lin-Manuel Miranda, star of the hip-hop Broadway musical Hamilton appeared Jimmy Fallon’s Tonight Show on Friday and rapped about rainbows, pancakes, slam dunks and Michael Jordan in a freestyle battle against Black Thought from the band The Roots.
Miranda was on the show to promote Hamilton, a musical with a hip-hop soundtrack that covers the life of American founding father Alexander Hamilton. He took on Black Thought using Fallon’s “Freestyle Generator,” which randomly selects three words for the rapper to drop into a freestyle, such as “pancake” in Miranda’s case.
“I started at the bottom like my man Drake. I flatten it, flour, eggs like a pancake,” Miranda rapped.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science