One Direction has unleashed a crooning, bittersweet anthem called “History” one week before the Nov. 13 release date of the band’s album Made in the A.M.
It’s the third single since Zayn Malik left the band and features claps, acoustic guitars and, according to Niall Horan, a chorus of singing fans. Following a tumultuous half-year in which the five-member team lost Malik and announced an “extended hiatus,” the new single can be interpreted as a celebration of the British boy band’s five-year journey alongside its fans.
“Actually, [longtime One Direction producer Julian Bunetta] and I brought some fans in the studio to record the chorus as like a crowd vocal,” Horan wrote on Twitter. “So this song is really YOURS.”
Made in the A.M. is the fifth and last studio release before the band goes on hiatus in 2016.
“More than anything, the song is about the way the fans and everyone have created this massive thing — One Direction — over the past five years,” Liam Payne told EW. “Out of [‘History’] comes a little bit of closure for this chapter of One Direction.”
Listen to “History” below.
[spotify id=”spotify:album:1a3jTiphSEfpKfZgFFQw35″ width=”595″ height=”80″ /]
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was