One Direction has unleashed a crooning, bittersweet anthem called “History” one week before the Nov. 13 release date of the band’s album Made in the A.M.
It’s the third single since Zayn Malik left the band and features claps, acoustic guitars and, according to Niall Horan, a chorus of singing fans. Following a tumultuous half-year in which the five-member team lost Malik and announced an “extended hiatus,” the new single can be interpreted as a celebration of the British boy band’s five-year journey alongside its fans.
“Actually, [longtime One Direction producer Julian Bunetta] and I brought some fans in the studio to record the chorus as like a crowd vocal,” Horan wrote on Twitter. “So this song is really YOURS.”
Made in the A.M. is the fifth and last studio release before the band goes on hiatus in 2016.
“More than anything, the song is about the way the fans and everyone have created this massive thing — One Direction — over the past five years,” Liam Payne told EW. “Out of [‘History’] comes a little bit of closure for this chapter of One Direction.”
Listen to “History” below.
[spotify id=”spotify:album:1a3jTiphSEfpKfZgFFQw35″ width=”595″ height=”80″ /]
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart