The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (or RSS) is an organization known for the hard-line Hindu ideology that its millions of members and associated political parties (including the Bharatiya Janata Party of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi) espouse. But it is also known for its quirky uniforms, consisting of a white shirt and pleated khaki shorts that end above the knee — often worn by some of the country’s top politicians.
The uniform may soon change, however, with a senior member recently telling the Indian Express newspaper that the organization’s leadership is considering changing its mandated attire — the subject of many an Internet meme.
Options for the new uniform will reportedly consist of full-length trousers in multiple colors, along with a version that includes T-shirts, in order to attract more youth.
The proposed change in uniform will be discussed and possibly adopted at a meeting of the organization’s highest decisionmaking committee in March next year, though many within the RSS are said to be opposed to the idea.
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time