Getty Images
By Benjamin Snyder / Fortune
November 5, 2015

Do you buy a lot of gum? If it’s sugarfree, make sure you keep it away from your dog.

The Wall Street Journal reports that sugarfree gum contains xylitol, an ingredient that can cause man’s best friend to get very sick.

In fact, xylitol is over 100 times more toxic to dogs than milk chocolate, according to the newspaper.

There appears to be a surge in the number of cases of dogs becoming sick from xylitol ingestion, the paper said: “We’ve seen a dramatic increase,” Dr. Ahna Brutlag, a veterinary toxicologist, told the Journal in an interview. In 2015, there have already been 2,800 calls to the Pet Poison Helpline due to the sweetener being ingested by canines, up from 300 calls in 2009.

As the newspaper reports:

Hershey sells sugarless gum products that contain xylitol.

“We certainly understand the deep passion that pet owners have for their animals, but there are many foods and ingredients, including xylitol-containing foods, intended for human consumption that should not be consumed by animals or pets,” a Hershey spokesman told the Journal.

This article originally appeared on Fortune.com

Contact us at editors@time.com.

Read More From TIME

EDIT POST