Finland is launching a set of ‘national emojis’ to help promote the country’s image abroad, the Associated Press reports. Created by the Finnish Foreign Ministry, the new emoji will include classic Finnish imagery like people sweating in saunas, Nokia phones and heavy metal head-bangers.
“The Finland emojis were designed with a tongue-in-cheek approach,” Director of Public Diplomacy Petra Theman told the BBC. “But I hope they will tell the world not only about our special features, but also something about our strengths. One example is disarming honesty.”
Starting Dec. 1, the free emoji will be released one a day, like a seasonal advent calendar, so stay tuned.
If Finland’s experiment proves successful, maybe other countries will create national emoji too. We’ve already got some ideas. For Germany, a pretzel emoji. For Australia, a kangaroo emoji. For Canada, a poutine emoji. And for Wales, obviously, a corgi emoji.
Read next: Your iPhone Just Got a Bunch of New Emoji
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023