A 62-year-old man who got stranded alone in the Australian desert for nearly a week and survived only by eating ants said he was “lucky” to be alive.
Reg Foggerdy, a grandfather from the city of Perth, spoke to Australian broadcaster 7 News about his ordeal while hunting a feral camel. “I’d given up,” Foggerdy said, adding that he still intends to go back and find his rifle.
Stuck in the Outback without food or water, he said he got the idea to consume the insects from watching TV shows featuring survival expert Bear Grylls.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction