Jesse Braham, whose stage name is Jesse Graham, says Swift plagiarized the lyrics from his 2013 song “Haters Gone Hate.” “Her hook is the same hook as mine,” Graham, 50, told the Daily News. “If I didn’t write the song ‘Haters Gone Hate,’ there wouldn’t be a song called ‘Shake It Off.’”
Graham’s song contains the lyrics: “Haters gone hate, playas gone play. Watch out for them fakers, they’ll fake you everyday.” The chorus to Swift’s “Shake it Off” begins: “Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play. And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.” Apart from the lyrics, the songs bear no musical similarities.
Graham, who, according to the Daily News also runs an organization called New Day Worldwide, said he also plans to sue CNN over the cable network’s show “New Day.”
A representative for Swift declined to comment to TIME.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science