Ryan Reynolds‘ father, James C. Reynolds, has died.
The actor took to Twitter on Wednesday to pay tribute to his late father, posting a vintage snap of the father-son duo.
“RIP Pops. James C. Reynolds. 1941-2015,” he captioned the photo of James holding Ryan as a baby.
Last year, Reynolds, 39, revealed that his father, known as Jim, had been battling Parkinson’s disease for nearly 20 years. In his tweet, the actor asked that people donate to the Michael J. Fox Foundation, which raises money to help fund research in hopes of finding a cure.
Reynolds spoke about his father’s condition during an interview with the Today show in November.”My father really hasn’t ever said he has Parkinson’s disease,” Reynolds revealed. “He comes from a pretty prideful generation and he doesn’t really talk about it too much. He’s maybe said it once or twice out loud.”
While his father had a hard time accepting his disease, Reynolds said that his diagnosis brought his family closer.
“It kind of galvanized everybody else, to sort of seek resources,” he told Today. “And for us, in a strange way, it’s really kind of brought us together.”
Reynolds became involved in the Michael J. Fox Foundation in 2008, and has since joined the board of directors.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart