Sometimes, seeing things from a great distance helps illuminate their scope—and when it comes to the matters of planet Earth, what better vantage point is there than the International Space Station?
Astronaut Scott Kelly, who is currently spending a year in space, shared photos of his view of Hurricane Patricia on Twitter. With a white mass blanketing an enormous region and a distinct eye at the center of the storm, the photos make it plain to see why Patricia qualified as the strongest hurricane ever recorded.
Read next: A Year In Space, Episode 1: Leaving Home
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space