A growing number of retailers are doing away with scheduling practices that wreak havoc on employees’ work-life balance. On-call scheduling, also known as “just-in-time” scheduling, is being phased out at J. Crew, Associated Press reports. The practice requires workers to be on-call for potential shifts with as little as 30 minutes advance notice.
On-call scheduling is a boon for employers, who are getting increasingly sophisticated at measuring exactly the number of workers they need at a given moment to maximize efficiency. But the scheduling tactic makes it challenging for workers to organize childcare, go to school, or develop skills for new jobs. In April New York Attorney General Eric Schnedierman sent letters to 13 major retailers questioning their scheduling practices and noting that they may violate state labor laws. Schnedierman announced Friday that J. Crew would be ending on-call scheduling nationwide.
Here are some other companies that have recently done away with on-call scheduling.
- Starbucks – The coffee chain ended “irregular schedules” for its 130,000 baristas in 2014 following a New York Times profile about one worker’s struggles to juggle her work and her family.
- Abercrombie & Fitch – The clothing store will end on-call scheduling for hourly workers throughout the United States.
- Urban Outfitters – The trendy retailer is curtailing just-in-time scheduling in the state of New York.
- Gap – The company is eliminating on-call scheduling across all five of its brands: Athleta, Banana Republic, Gap, Intermix, and Old Navy.
- Bath & Body Works – The beauty retailer announced in September that it would eliminate on-call scheduling.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating