A spokesperson for Angela Merkel clarified that Germany was responsible for the Holocaust after Benjamin Netanyahu blamed the Palestinians.
“All Germans know the history of the murderous race mania of the Nazis that led to the break with civilization that was the Holocaust,” said Steffen Seibert, spokesman for German Chancellor, according to the Independent. “This is taught in German schools for good reason, it must never be forgotten and I see no reason to change our view of history in any way.”
Seibert’s response came one day after Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu claimed that Haj Amin al-Husseini, a World War II-era Palestinian leader, convinced Adolf Hitler to exterminate the Jews as part of his Final Solution, rather than expel them from Germany. Netanyahu’s comments have incited backlash in Israel and around the world.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com