A guy named Santa Claus is North Pole, Alaska’s newest city council member.
Seriously. We can’t make this up.
Claus, who was born Thomas Patrick O’Connor but legally changed his name in 2005, was elected to a three-year term on the North Pole city council, according to USA Today. Like jolly old Saint Nick, Alaska’s Claus too enjoys bringing smiles to the faces of children. In fact, it was a holiday job performing as as Santa Claus that led him to grow a long white beard and eventually change his name.
According to USA Today, Claus is no stranger to local politics either—he once served as the president of the local Chamber of Commerce.
Claus also hopes to bring Christmas cheer to the council all year by sharing messages of giving and love while in office. You can’t help but wonder, though, if those in town on the naughty list are worried.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now