A guy named Santa Claus is North Pole, Alaska’s newest city council member.
Seriously. We can’t make this up.
Claus, who was born Thomas Patrick O’Connor but legally changed his name in 2005, was elected to a three-year term on the North Pole city council, according to USA Today. Like jolly old Saint Nick, Alaska’s Claus too enjoys bringing smiles to the faces of children. In fact, it was a holiday job performing as as Santa Claus that led him to grow a long white beard and eventually change his name.
According to USA Today, Claus is no stranger to local politics either—he once served as the president of the local Chamber of Commerce.
Claus also hopes to bring Christmas cheer to the council all year by sharing messages of giving and love while in office. You can’t help but wonder, though, if those in town on the naughty list are worried.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future