A San Antonio family visiting San Francisco appears to have captured the moment when a great white shark devoured its prey near Alcatraz, the former prison island, in a cell phone video.
“It’s Jaws!” a boy named Keaton screams with excitement in the clip, as he hums the theme from the hit horror film.
Reports vary on whether the prey was a seal or a sea lion, but marine biologist David McGuire of the group Shark Stewards told CBS San Francisco that it’s not unusual for a shark to eat a sea lion. But it is rare that an attack in the area is caught on camera: “It’s a sign that the bay is getting healthier,” he told the news station. “When you have predations, that means the ecosystem is becoming more balanced.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve