Airbnb is offering up its most ghoulish accommodation yet — the underground catacombs of Paris, where the skulls and skeletons of over 6 million dead are entombed. And you can now vie for the chance to sleep spend Halloween night there.
All you need to do is explain, before Oct. 20, why you would be courageous enough to complete the overnight stay.
“Before bedtime, a storyteller will have you spellbound with fascinating tales from the catacombs, guaranteed to produce nightmares. Finally, enjoy dawn with the dead, as you become the only living person ever to wake up in the Paris catacombs,” Airbnb says. Guests will also get a private concert and a “a dazzling culinary experience” in the mass tomb.
The underground tunnels were first built in the 1780s after more conventional cemeteries, filled to overflowing, became a public health hazard. Over time, they became a curiosity and today are visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists annually.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow