Airbnb is offering up its most ghoulish accommodation yet — the underground catacombs of Paris, where the skulls and skeletons of over 6 million dead are entombed. And you can now vie for the chance to sleep spend Halloween night there.
All you need to do is explain, before Oct. 20, why you would be courageous enough to complete the overnight stay.
“Before bedtime, a storyteller will have you spellbound with fascinating tales from the catacombs, guaranteed to produce nightmares. Finally, enjoy dawn with the dead, as you become the only living person ever to wake up in the Paris catacombs,” Airbnb says. Guests will also get a private concert and a “a dazzling culinary experience” in the mass tomb.
The underground tunnels were first built in the 1780s after more conventional cemeteries, filled to overflowing, became a public health hazard. Over time, they became a curiosity and today are visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists annually.
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction