The Cyber Activists Who Wants to Shut Down ISIS – Simon Cottee, The Atlantic
ISIS vs. cyber-nerd vigilante. If there’s a better stand-in for the complexities of modern combat, I haven’t seen it.
What It’s Like to Grow Up as a Closeted Gay Extremist Muslim — Sohail Ahmed, Vice
Sexual repression meets brainwashing. A combustible combination.
The Secret Maoist Chinese Operation That Conquered Malaria—and Won a Nobel – Jia-Chen Fu, The New Republic
Iran’s Identity Crisis – Kim Ghattas, Foreign Policy
If the lifting of sanctions raises public expectations for more change and puts a lot more disposable income in people’s pockets, what will that mean for the aspirations of Iran’s young people for a more “modern” way of life and the desire of conservatives to prevent them from having it?
Equal Opportunity Terrorism –Farahnaz Ispahani & Nina Shea, The Weekly Standard
Sadism has no gender.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow