Leftover shopping bags aren’t just for lining the bathroom trash can or picking up dog poop. Check out these other clever recycling ideas, too.
1. Fill in Gaps
Stuff plastic bags into cavities around pipes, ducts, or other wall or floor penetrations to provide a substrate before filling voids with spray foam or caulk.
2. Protect Fruit
In late fall, tie plastic bags over nearly ripe fruit on a tree to keep out bugs and guard against frost damage.
3. Apply Waxes and Creams
Use a bag as a mitt to spread furniture wax or polish. Then buff to a shiny finish using a soft, dry cloth.
4. Transport Unpotted Plants
Divide overgrown perennials and place extras in bags to contain the soil and keep in moisture while you carry them to a friend.
5. Seal a Paint Can
When you’re done painting, slip a plastic bag over the paint can lid before replacing it so that dirt or flakes of dried paint on the lid’s underside won’t fall into the liquid.
6. Keep Your Jeans Clean
Cut holes in the bottom of two bags and wear the bags like kneepads to protect your pants while you’re gardening.
7. Make Sure Glue Won’t Stick to the Wrong Thing
Before clamping up a woodworking project that’s just been glued, slip a plastic bag between the piece you’ve worked on and the clamp blocks. Once the glue has dried, the blocks will slip off your piece easily.
8. Save Time After a Storm
Expecting snow or sleet? Tie plastic bags around your car’s side-view mirrors so that you don’t have to scrape ice off them; just yank the bags off and you’re on your way.
9. Keep Your Dog or Cat Comfy
Stuff an old pillowcase tightly with plastic bags, sew the open end closed, and let your pet lounge on it during nap time.
10. Corral Hardware
Line tool-belt pockets with a bag trimmed to size. No more stabbing yourself as you reach for nails deep in the seams.
More from This Old House:
- 10 Uses for Old Socks
- Little Ways to Save Big on Your Heating Bill
- How to Know Whether to Repair or Replace
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time