In presidential politics, three things always matter: debate performances, television ads and Saturday Night Live. Chevy Chase tagged Gerald Ford as a clumsy fool, Dana Carvey haunted George H.W. Bush, and Tina Fey’s impression of Sarah Palin hurt at the worst possible time. For 2016, all eyes are on how SNL cast member Kate McKinnon (right and below) handles Hillary Clinton, who visited the show on Oct. 3 as a guest. So TIME asked McKinnon how she approaches her muse.
This appears in the October 19, 2015 issue of TIME.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption