The upcoming British television show The Last Panthers has unveiled its opening credits, featuring a brand new song by David Bowie.
The credits include a 47-second tease of Bowie’s new song “Blackstar,” his first since last year’s single “Sue (Or in a Season of Crime).” British TV channel Sky Atlantic previously announced that Bowie would write the theme for the upcoming drama, which is directed by Johan Renck and stars Samantha Morton and John Hurt. Bowie last wrote a TV theme in 1993 for BBC’s The Buddha of Suburbia.
“I showed Mr. Bowie the two first episodes in the rough state they were at the time, and he liked what he saw very much,” Renck said in a statement. “We discussed the various aspects of the show; naturally the plot line, but also the underlying currents of guilt and personality flaws. We talked about the dark heart of Europe. We talked about the biblical aspects of human nature.”
“He asked if there was anything else to see, so I showed him the first concept board I had just made for the title sequence — images from the show laced with chimaeras and demons from the worlds of Bosch and Grunewald,” Renck added. “That’s when he said go — it all fits. Then he played me his new song ‘Blackstar.’”
Watch the Last Panthers opening credits above to hear an excerpt of “Blackstar.”
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive