John Oliver, host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, debunks the copyright statement everyone is posting on Facebook — in a video uploaded to the social network on Wednesday.
The comedian points out that some versions start out with “I do declare the following” — which does not make whatever comes after it legally-binding — while other versions misspell statute as “statue.” Even Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg legitimized the takedown by “liking” the clip on the show’s page.
So now you can share this link with people who are falling for the hoax. Or just “unfollow” them.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time