Anchor Yasmin Vossoughian asked Hendren to give his perspective as an Edward Snowden supporter on the fugitive’s recent appearance on Twitter. But as the interview went on, it became clear that Hendren was talking about a very different Edward, Edward Scissorhands, the Tim Burton character.
The trouble started when Vossoughian asked Hendren if Snowden could have “feasibly harmed” someone by releasing the classified information he leaked.
Without missing a beat, Hendren responded, “Well, you know, to say that he couldn’t harm somebody with what he did—he could, absolutely, he could. But to cast him out, to make him invalid in society simply because he has scissors for hands—I mean, that’s strange. People didn’t get scared until he started sculpting shrubs into dinosaur shapes and whatnot.”
The anchor continued normally, either not noticing or simply choosing not to acknowledge her guest’s strange response, and kept her cool even as Hendren continued to defend Scissorhands instead of Snowden.
“Well, Jon,” she said at the interview’s conclusion, “I appreciate you giving us your opinion.”
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time