The papacy has been through a lot in its multi-millennial history. Since St. Peter became the first pope shortly after the dawn of the common era, the leader of the Catholic Church has influenced major global events and clashed with kings and scientists alike, all while overseeing the workings of the church and leading a worldwide community of the faithful.
As Pope Francis makes his first visit to the United States, landing in Washington D.C. on Tuesday, here’s a timeline of the pope throughout the ages.
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time