On Tuesday night, the Muppets return to primetime with the premiere of the aptly titled The Muppets on ABC. The gang of puppets has been in and out of the spotlight for more than half a century, with eight theatrical films, two TV movies and several television spin-offs. But for many fans, The Muppet Show, which debuted in 1974 before becoming a regular series in 1976, was their first introduction to Kermit and Miss Piggy, Statler and Waldorf.
This clip from the pilot episode on Jan. 30, 1974, explores a theme revisited many times in later iterations of the series: love. Guest star Mia Farrow waxes romantic on the nature of love, comforting George the Janitor that yes—love does, in fact, come in many forms.
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer
- What to Know About the Monkeypox Drug TPOXX—And Why It's So Hard to Get
- The Year's Final Supermoon Reminds Us Why We Love the Night Sky
- A Hotter World Means More Disease Outbreaks in Our Future
- How The Sandman Author Neil Gaiman Drew Inspiration From His Nightmares
- Candace Parker Is a Force in Basketball and Beyond
- Dropbox Tossed Out the Workplace Rulebook. Here’s How That’s Working