It’s rare that Real Madrid soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo gets upstaged, but that’s exactly what happened Saturday when the player walked onto the field before the start of a match with the 7-year-old boy whose father was famously tripped by a camera woman.
For the boy, Zaid Mohsen, the spectacle is far removed the path he and his family followed to escape their native Syria where their home was destroyed. Moshe grinned widely as held the hand of the world’s most popular athlete.
Just weeks ago, the family was one of thousands of Syrians seeking refuge in Europe. Crossing between Serbia and Hungary, the Moshen family encountered a photographer who tripped Osama Abdul Mohsen, Zaid’s father, as he carried the boy. The moment, captured on video, prompted uproar across the world. The woman was fired and Osama was offered a job in Spain.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization