A man with a history of mental illness crashed a car into a security gate in Waco, Tx. in an attempt to steal a jet, police say.
The Waco Police Department posted on Facebook that the man gained access to the tarmac of the Waco Regional Airport after crashing through the gate. He reportedly tried to break into a parked Lear Jet. Workers nearby noticed the man’s attempts and alerted an off-duty officer, who tazed and later subdued the man with the help of bystanders.
The suspect, whose name has not been released, was taken to a local hospital for a mental evaluation. Officers say he may have been under the influence of drugs during the incident.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction