If there’s one thing that horror movies and pregnancy announcement videos have in common it’s that everyone always seems happy—at least at the beginning. That’s when things in horror films generally take a sharp detour into pure nightmare material while typical pregnancy announcements stay incredibly, nauseatingly chipper. Not so for Judy and Gavin Holt’s announcement. The couple took a page out of the horror genre and made a downright frightening birth announcement.
“I can feel it grow inside of me,” whispers Judy, while extreme camera angles and ominous music set the scene. A voiceover darkly announces: “There’s something in the oven!” Could it be a bun?
After a frightening trip to the doctor (“What’s happening to me?” Judy pleads) and an extreme close-up of a jar of Prego pasta sauce (get it?), soon enough, the message becomes clear: there’s a baby on the way. Hopefully one that doesn’t mind having extremely goofy parents.
Though a lot of viral pregnancy announcements come under fire for seeming (or actually being) fake, this video is so out there and unexpected it should still earn the creative couple a foot in the door in Hollywood’s horror community.
[H/T Daily Dot]
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List