Over the last few years, a new class of ultra-celebrity has emerged: The YouTube star.
Typically making videos aimed at tweens and teens, YouTube stars like PewDiePie and Jenna Marbles are estimated to make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year off advertising and sponsorship deals. One recent study even suggested young viewers trust YouTube stars more than traditional celebrities, like TV and movie actors. That’s probably because YouTubers are talented at connecting with their audience on a more personal level than mainstream celebs.
All this has big implications for the entertainment business: As teens go, so goes the nation. That’s why companies like Netflix are adding more content for teens, in some cases giving big deals to already-established YouTube personalities.
To learn more about YouTube stars and how they make so much money, watch the video above.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction