Singer Sir Elton John announced on Tuesday that he had received a phone call from an unlikely source — Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“Thank you to President Vladimir Putin for reaching out and speaking via telephone with me today,” John posted on Instagram. “I look to forward to meeting with you face-to-face to discuss LGBT equality in Russia.”
Putin’s phone call follows a recent trip by John to neighboring Ukraine , where the Englishman met with president Petro Poroshenko.
In Ukraine, John spoke harshly against a Russian law against “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among minors,” which has made it difficult for LGBT activists to distribute informational materials, according to the Guardian.
John, who is immensely popular in Russia, came out against the law at concerts in Moscow and St. Petersburg and last year penned an open letter calling for its repeal.
Spokespersons for President Putin and the Elton John Aids Foundation did not return a request to comment from the Guardian, nor have they appeared to set a date for the meeting.
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer
- What to Know About the Monkeypox Drug TPOXX—And Why It's So Hard to Get
- The Year's Final Supermoon Reminds Us Why We Love the Night Sky
- A Hotter World Means More Disease Outbreaks in Our Future
- How The Sandman Author Neil Gaiman Drew Inspiration From His Nightmares
- Candace Parker Is a Force in Basketball and Beyond
- Dropbox Tossed Out the Workplace Rulebook. Here’s How That’s Working