1. Don’t get a salary. A salary will never make you money.
2. Don’t invest any of your money. Investing is for wealth preservation, not wealth creation, so first you have to make wealth.
3. Come up with ten ideas a day. This doesn’t seem like “personal finance” but it is.
4. Don’t try to save money by not buying expensive coffee or taking subways instead of cabs. That’s a myth. The best way to save money is to make more.
5. Learn how to copywrite.
6. Come up with ten ideas for how two people can help each other. Introduce them and stay out of the way. This is real networking. Not fake networking where people hand business cards to strangers.
7. When you have wealth, never invest more than 2% of your wealth in any one idea.
8. Don’t enter a business with a lot of competition. Enter a business with a monopoly. This means high profits, high perks, great education.
9. Read a lot about things that have nothing to do with finance. Then combine them.
10. Sleeping eight hours a day might be the most important personal finance rule.
11. Be around people who love you and who you love. Eliminate people who bring you down.
12. Gratitude = Abundance. You can only be grateful for what is abundant in your life or what will be abundant in your life. So practice gratitude / abundance all day long.
Trust your body. With everything you do, everyone you meet, ask, “is this good for me?” Your unconscious brain will tell you yes or no. Wait for it to answer.
Once it answers, follow the advice.
Look everywhere for what is hidden. The people who know personal finance hide the money very carefully.
The people who don’t know personal finance have TV shows about it.
Be skeptical. Even of me.
This question originally appeared on Quora: What are the ten most important things about personal finance someone without a finance background must know?
More from Quora:
- What are some lifestyle changes that save money?
- What important things does a 20-year-old need to know about money and finance?
- Should we teach to our children at school how banking works?
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.