Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri called on Muslim men to carry out lone-wolf attacks in Western countries, according to a video circulating on the internt in recent days, suggesting Muslim youth follow the example set by the Tsnarnaev brothers.
“I call on all Muslims who can harm the countries of the crusader coalition not to hesitate. We must now focus on moving the war to the heart of the homes and cities of the crusader West and specifically America,” Zawahri said in an audio recording that could have been produced several months ago, referring to nations making up the Western-led coalition in Iraq and Syria.
Zawahri cited the Tsnarnaev brothers, who were responsible for the Boston bomings, and the Kouachi brothers, who carried out the Charlie Hebdo shootings as examples for such attacks, the Independent reports.
He also denounced ISIS as “illegitimate,” saying “We have endured a lot of harm from [ISIS leader] Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and his brothers.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com