Roberta Vinci will move on to the U.S. Open finals after defeating Serena Willaims 26-64-64 in a shocking upset.
Vinci’s odds of winning were estimated to be 1 in 300, according to SI.com.
Vinci’s victory ends Williams’ 33-match winning streak at the Grand Slams. Williams had a shot at becoming the first player to collect all four Grand Slam titles in a single season since Steffi Graf in 1988, the Associated Press reports.
“Today is my day,” Vinci said in a post-game interview.
“She played literally out of her mind,” Williams said after the match.
Moments from the game are already making the rounds on social media
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time