Roberta Vinci will move on to the U.S. Open finals after defeating Serena Willaims 26-64-64 in a shocking upset.
Vinci’s odds of winning were estimated to be 1 in 300, according to SI.com.
Vinci’s victory ends Williams’ 33-match winning streak at the Grand Slams. Williams had a shot at becoming the first player to collect all four Grand Slam titles in a single season since Steffi Graf in 1988, the Associated Press reports.
Vinci is now the lowest-ranked U.S. Open finalist since Williams’ sister, Venus, in 1997. Serena beat Venus is a match earlier this week.
“Today is my day,” Vinci said in a post-game interview.
“She played literally out of her mind,” Williams said after the match.
Moments from the game are already making the rounds on social media
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement