A deserving pup named Bretagne just had a birthday to remember. BarkBox, a pet food and gifts subscription service, shared a video about a New York City celebration for the golden retriever that worked with Texas Task Force 1 and handler Denise Corliss to help search for victims trapped in the rubble of the fallen World Trade Center towers in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks.
Corliss and the canine — said to be one of the last surviving 9/11 search dogs — were recently treated to a suite at 1 Hotel Central Park, a vintage taxi ride through Times Square, a visit to the sprinklers at Hudson River Park and a Tiffany & Co. sterling silver bone, in addition to other colorful pet toys.
In recent years, Bretagne has still worked as a service dog, keeping elementary school students with special needs company as they learn to read.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color