The Nintendo classic Super Mario Bros., widely considered one of the best video games ever made — and certainly one of the most important — celebrates its 30th anniversary on September 13.
But what’s so special about a decades-old game revolving around an Italian plumber trying to save a lost princess? It’s all about history. When Super Mario Bros. came out, the video game industry was a wreck. But Mario helped save it — and it wasn’t even in another castle.
To find out more about Super Mario Bros., watch the video above.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow