Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has long been fascinated by Mars, and on Wednesday night he shared with viewers of “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” some of his plans for making it a more hospitable place for humans.
“There’s the fast way and the slow way,” said Musk, who called Mars “a fixer upper of a planet.”
The fast way, according to Musk, would be to drop thermonuclear weapons on the poles of Mars, which would warm the planet and would trigger a chain reaction that releases carbon dioxide into the Martian atmosphere, and then continues to warm the planet.
The other idea Musk proposed was to simply export carbon dioxide from Earth to Mars, though that process would take a lot longer.
“You’re a supervillain!” Colbert responded.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate